(Note: this is is not an official Department of State website; the views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.)

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Perspective(s)

In the past six weeks, I’ve ventured to Western China, relocated to Hangzhou, visited the States and come back again. Well, almost. I’m writing from the skies, 5881 miles from Shanghai.

I suppose you could say things are a bit unsettled. I have 14 remaining weeks, and am trying to figure out what to do with them. What is feasible? Will things actually come together, like I've been hoping? I feel suspended between panic and apathy. How can I make the most my remaining time here?

Aside from just my research, people have been asking me for months about my post-Fulbright plans. The answer is that I don’t know. My visa expires October 30th, and I haven’t the slightest clue what city, what country, or even what continent I’ll be on by Halloween. As a rather type-A individual, this is all very troubling.

At right about this point, I start hyperventilating and begin to anxiously scour various museum employment databases. However, times like these require some much-needed perspective. At the very least, I try to stop and appreciate just how lucky I am to have had such unique experiences, to have seen such incredible things, and to have met such wonderful people.

Before arriving back in Hangzhou and starting a new chapter there, I’d like to take a moment to pause and appreciate my time spent in Xi’an. Even with all of my travels, it still remains my favorite Chinese city.

Below, I’m going to include a series of photographs taken during my stay there. Perhaps it will encourage you to visit the city for yourself. If you do, I’ve got a booklet of recommendations waiting.



I. Art and Architecture
South City Gate (2/3/11)

Bell Tower (2/3/11)

Bell Tower by Night (3/27/11)

Drum Tower by Night (3/27/11)

Small Goose Pagoda (2/12/11)

Vendor at Small Goose Pagoda (2/12/11)

Small Goose Pagoda (2/12/11)
\
Big Goose Pagoda (3/26/11)

Close-up of Stele at Xi'an Stele Museum (1/17/11)

II. Terracotta Warriors

Warriors site: Pit 1 (3/13/11)





Rear-view of an archer-figure; note the textured sole of his boot

Warrior-figure at Shaanxi History Museum (6/27/11)


III. Muslim Quarter
View from Drum Tower of food stall by beginning of Muslim Quarter (1/17/11)

Vendors in Muslim Quarter (3/26/11)

Contemplating wooden frogs (3/26/11)

串儿 (skewered meet) Vendor (3/26/11)


Dried fruit (3/26/11)

Muslim chef preparing paomo (3/26/11)

IV. Friends

With Cai Wenjin (Kathy) at the Big Goose Pagoda (3/26/11)

Monica's Wedding (4/30/11)

With Cherry, co-worker and friend, at Monica's wedding reception (4/30/11)

Xi'an Fulbrighters at their finest:
Good food and good times with Annie and Alina (5/13/11)

Post-biking the city wall with friends Danny and Rachel (6/26/11)


With my contact Cai Laoshi--Shaanxi History Museum employee/artist--in his office
(6/27/11)

Reunion with high school Chinese teacher Cheng-Mei
at Shaanxi History Museum (6/16/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment